Archetype 11: Peace
The wolf shall live with the lamb,
the leopard shall lie down with the kid,
the calf and the lion and the fatling together,
and a little child shall lead them.
This reading describes a world at peace. War is over. Hatred and bigotry are dim memories. The Kingdom of God has arrived. And the Messiah (Anointed One) who will lead us to this kingdom is not a king or a general. Their way is the way of war, not of peace. The Messiah who will lead us to this kingdom will be a little child.
The lower trigram, God, has the image of Heaven. The upper trigram, Wisdom, has the image of Earth. Thus we have Earth supported by Heaven. This portrays wonderful fortune and success.
There is a time...
- To set aside anger and fighting and embrace peace and harmony.
- To enjoy the knowledge that heaven has arrived on earth and the two forces complement each other perfectly.
- To encourage harmony within social divisions.
- To not worry about evil, and let it depart on its own.
- To appreciate the peace and blessings that have come to all of God’s creation.
- To control the flow of energy through a process of partitioning, dividing, and adjusting so that outcomes occur in their proper time and place and thereby increase in yield.
Now is that time.
Moving Line in the Second Position
A moving line in the second position suggests that both the great and the not so great can be used effectively. Wisdom shows us how to make use of those with lesser abilities; everybody can contribute something. In a time of peace, people come together and work as a cohesive whole, but if this results in cliques, peace is weakened. In times of prosperity, we can afford to undertake projects that make us apprehensive, such as visiting with those who are different and whom we have traditionally avoided. Peace is a time to attend to both immediate and future needs and to not allow the carefree times to tempt us to lower our diligence. Such laziness will increase the risk of danger later.
Moving Line in the Third Position
A moving line in the third position reminds us that everything is subject to change. Times of peace are followed by times of discord. Evil can be held in check, but it always returns. Is this defeatist? No, it is just being aware of the way things are. Complacency is dangerous. Use this time to maintain diligence, build inner strength, and cultivate Wisdom.
Moving Line in the Fourth Position
A moving line in the fourth position reminds us that in times of peace, people of all social ranks interact with each other easily and spontaneously. This happens not by force, but because people have the inner conviction to follow God’s will.
Moving Line in the Fifth Position
A moving line in the fifth position suggests that in times of peace, social rank is no longer meaningful, and equality brings happiness and blessings.
Moving Line in the Sixth (Top) Position
A moving line in the top position is a warning that the bad times mentioned in the third line have begun. The defenses have been breached. Armed resistance will be futile and will result in further collapse and chaos. The hour of doom has truly arrived. At such times, one must submit to fate, trust in God, and look to one’s intimate friends for strength.
Other interpretations of Archetype 11:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.