In order to find the archetype associated with a given hexagram (either starting or resulting), you need to know the index number associated with the hexagram. To do this, you use the Hexagram Index Table.
To use the Hexagram Index Table, divide the hexagram into a lower trigram (the bottom three lines) and an upper trigram (the top three lines). Find the lower trigram in the first column of the Hexagram Index Table. Find the upper trigram in the top row of the Hexagram Index Table. The interception of the that row and column is the index number of the hexagram.
Write the starting and resulting hexagram numbers in your notebook.
Once you know the indices for your hexagrams, you can jump to the appropriate archetypes in the next tab, Looking Up Your Archetypes.
- Guide to Consulting the Christian I Ching
- Preparing the I Ching Material
- Formulating your I Ching Query
- Setting the Stage for your Reading
- Using the I Ching Stone Protocol
- Constructing the Starting Hexagram
- Constructing the Resulting Hexagram
- Determining the Hexagram Index Numbers ←
- Looking up the Archetypes that Correspond to the Hexagrams
- Interpreting your Reading