Archetype 13: Fellowship
Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.
This reading describes a holy center unifying a committed fellowship of people. A center that asks little and offers much (“my yoke is easy and my burden light”) gives stability to the fellowship.
The lower trigram is Christ whose attribute is Light. The upper trigram is God, whose attribute is Strength. This gives us Strength grounded in Light. The strength is in the people who make up the fellowship. The light is the foundation that holds the fellowship together.
There is a time...
- To align a strong fellowship to God’s purpose.
- To choose a leader who carries God’s light faithfully and whose core is yielding and soft.
- To know that a fellowship built around such a leader can accomplish great things.
- To know the difference between a united fellowship and a random gathering of individuals.
Now is that time.
Moving Line in the Second Position
A moving line in the second position warns of factions forming based on Ego-serving interests. Such factions are exclusive; instead of welcoming all, they unite some groups while excluding others. Because these factions are driven by Ego rather than God’s purpose, they cannot lead anywhere but failure.
Moving Line in the Third Position
A moving line in the third position is unfortunate: the fellowship is unraveling. Members do not trust each other, and cliques are planning secret ambushes. In such a situation, a problem member cannot be approached by the normal rules of engagement. The doubts of the few will spread to the many, and this will threaten the stability of the fellowship. The longer this continues, the worse the situation becomes.
Moving Line in the Fourth Position
A moving line in the fourth position brings good news. The quarreling described in the previous line is coming to an end. Reconciliation is closer. There are still divisions and confrontations, but the issues creating the discord have been addressed. There are still challenges ahead, but instead of causing further discord, these challenges will help unite the fellowship.
Moving Line in the Fifth Position
A moving line in the fifth position reassures two people who are separated but whose hearts are still one. Circumstances are keeping them apart. Yet despite all the obstacles, they remain true to each other and allow nothing to get in the way of their commitment to each other.
Moving Line in the Sixth (Top) Position
A moving line in the top position warns the fellowship lacks dedication and is splintering into factions. The original fellowship now includes only those who share physical proximity. While the ultimate goal of the fellowship has not yet been reached, progress is still possible. It is time to set Ego aside and join together in a greater community.
Other interpretations of Archetype 13:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.