Archetype 25: Innocence
And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.”
This reading portrays Mary, mother of Jesus, the symbol of one who is innocent and without guile. Her mind is natural and true, devoid of Ego, fully aligned with and accepting God’s will. This reading also describes the unexpected. Mary doesn’t know what is going to happen, but she is putting herself in God’s hands. And, indeed, all generations will call her blessed.
The trigram God is above. Below is Word. All things came into being from the Word (John 1:1). Things are born innocent and pure. They are protected by God above, like a mother bird protects her chicks (2 Esd. 1:30).
There is a time...
- To marvel in the essential goodness of human nature.
- To remember that all people are made in the image of God, and, because of this, all have that inner voice that is able to hear the call of Wisdom.
- To follow Wisdom’s way without thought of reward or advantage.
- To know that following Wisdom’s way leads to divine success.
- To remember how easily Ego can tempt one away from Wisdom’s way.
- To remember that only those with the innocence of children will be able to share in the Kingdom of God.
- To understand that a good ruler is one who nurtures life and all people.
Now is that time.
Moving Line in the Second Position
A moving line in the second position says we should complete tasks as time and place allow and not be focused on future outcomes. The completion of tasks is its own reward. This is the way to build true value.
Moving Line in the Third Position
A moving line in the third position reminds us that sometimes bad things happen to good people. There is no point in getting upset. Let it go.
Moving Line in the Fourth Position
A moving line in the fourth position says if something really belongs to us, we cannot lose it. Even if we throw it away, it will still be ours. There is no point in getting upset. All we need to do is to stay grounded and remain true to Wisdom’s way.
Moving Line in the Fifth Position
A moving line in the fifth position warns that an unexpected evil may appear. If it does not originate from one’s own Ego, then it need cause no worry. Stay grounded and let nature take its course. Everything will work out.
Moving Line in the Sixth (Top) Position
A moving line in the top position suggests that the time may not be right for action. Now is the time to wait quietly, listening for Wisdom’s voice. There is nothing to be gained by acting thoughtlessly and steamrolling ahead. This will accomplish nothing.
Other interpretations of Archetype 25:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.