Archetype 30: The Light
The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.
Jesus the Christ is sent to bring us light. It is the light that will bring us out of darkness. It is the light of knowing we are all children of God. It is a light so bright that no evil can long stand against it.
The hexagram is a doubling of the Christ trigram. The Christ trigram is composed of an open line within two solid lines. The openness signifies the empty space. The open space is about being receptive. We are empty so that we can be filled. It is only in emptying ourselves that we are able to receive Christ’s light.
There is a time...
- To offer oneself totally to the light, so that the light may continue burning.
- To cling to what is right.
- To be bearers of the light to all we meet.
- To accept the limitations of corporeal existence and embrace one’s calling as a child of God.
- To open the hearts of people to the beauty of God’s light.
Now is that time.
Moving Line in the Second Position
A moving line in the second position describes culture and art, the harmony of which requires one to pay close attention to the balance found between the extremes.
Moving Line in the Third Position
A moving line in the third position indicates the end of the day, a time when we remember the fragile nature of life. Some believe they must enjoy all life has to offer while it lasts. Others become depressed at the thought of growing old. But neither attitude is correct. Wisdom means knowing that it is not how long we live that matters, but how we use the time we have.
Moving Line in the Fourth Position
A moving line in the fourth position warns that fire brings clarity to wood, but also consumes it. Some who see the light become too impatient to understand the light and too anxious to spread it. These people produce nothing of lasting importance.
Moving Line in the Fifth Position
A moving line in the fifth position indicates the height of the day, the zenith of life. This is the time to put aside Ego. Understand that hope and fear and worrying are products of Ego. Those who seek wisdom and clarity of mind will accomplish God’s work.
Moving Line in the Sixth (Top) Position
A moving line in the top position warns us to chastise sparingly. The goal is not to punish, but to discipline. Eliminate bad habits, but tolerate those that are harmless. Remove the source of the poison, but don’t punish those who were poisoned. Even asceticism must find a middle way.
Other interpretations of Archetype 30:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.