Archetype 34: Strength in Greatness
But Moses said to God, “If I come to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” He said further, “Thus you shall say to the Israelites, ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
Moses has known the power of the pharaoh. He has seen the might of the Egyptian army. But now he is confronted by a new kind of power, a power so great it cannot even be named. It is this strength that will guide Moses in freeing his people from the injustice of Egyptian slavery.
This hexagram consists of the Word issuing out from God. This is the ultimate manifestation of the greatness of God’s strength.
There is a time...
- To unite movement and strength.
- To call on inner worth and outer force and thereby actualize great power.
- To not become intoxicated by power and thereby forget to be guided by Wisdom.
- To remain true to the fundamental principles of right and justice.
- To patiently seek the right time to move forward.
Now is that time.
Moving Line in the Second Position
A moving line in the second position points to gates that are beginning to open. Resistance has diminished, and the path forward is clear. However, there is a risk of overconfidence. One can guard against this only by remaining grounded in Wisdom.
Moving Line in the Third Position
A moving line in the third position warns the wise one not to boast about having power. This is the way of an inferior person. The wise one remains cautious and does not make empty threats.
Moving Line in the Fourth Position
A moving line in the fourth position suggests that this is the time for perseverance, for quietly working at the removal of obstacles. The real power is internal and invisible. This power can manage the heaviest of loads. When one resorts to external strength, a much greater effort is required.
Moving Line in the Fifth Position
A moving line in the fifth position suggests that resistance is in the past and everything is easy. There is no longer a need to appear belligerent or stubborn.
Moving Line in the Sixth (Top) Position
A moving line in the top position warns that we may have gone too far and come to a deadlock. Any movement now just makes the situation more complicated. The wise one takes the time to sit quietly and wait for things to right themselves in their own time.
Other interpretations of Archetype 34:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.