Archetype 35: Progress
Sometime afterwards Joash decided to restore the house of the Lord...A proclamation was made throughout Judah and Jerusalem to bring in for the Lord the tax that Moses the servant of God laid on Israel in the wilderness. All the leaders and all the people rejoiced, and brought their tax and dropped it into the chest until it was full...The king and Jehoiada gave it to those who had charge of the work of the house of the Lord, and they hired masons and carpenters to restore the house of the Lord, and also workers in iron and bronze to repair the house of the Lord. So those who were engaged in the work labored, and the repairs went forward at their hands, and they restored the house of God to its proper condition and strengthened it. When they had finished, they brought the rest of the money to the king and Jehoiada, and with it were made utensils for the house of the Lord, utensils for the service and for the burnt-offerings, and ladles, and vessels of gold and silver.
—2 Chronicles 24:4–14
Joash was a king of Judah around 800 BCE. Jehoiada was his uncle and his priest. Before Joash, God’s temple was allowed to fall into disarray. Jehoiada was a man of God and a strong influence on Joash. The two together formed a holy partnership. Jehoiada convinced Joash to restore God’s temple. This was a massive undertaking, but the work was undertaken with great joy. People contributed willingly, and the effort exceeded their hopes.
The upper trigram is Christ, whose image is Fire. The lower trigram is Wisdom, whose image is Earth. The Fire dances on the Earth and makes rapid progress.
There is a time...
- To make rapid, easy progress.
- To gather those in similar positions of power to work together for a common goal.
- To dedicate the alliance to God.
- To be careful not to abuse one’s influence, but to use that influence for God’s work.
- To form a partnership between an enlightened ruler and an obedient servant.
- To know that human nature wants to be aligned with God, but that this desire can be forgotten in the daily grind of life.
Now is that time.
A moving line in the first place suggests that we are worried about rejection, but we should simply continue doing what we know is right. If we meet with those who do not believe in our goals, there is nothing to be gained by trying to win them over. It would be easy to give in to anger, but this accomplishes nothing. The best course is to remain calm and stay grounded in Wisdom.
A moving line in the second position describes a situation in which progress has been halted, and one is prevented from meeting with those in authority. This blockage causes grief. But the line counsels perseverance. Good news eventually comes from a loving source, like a grandmother soothing a troubled child. The happiness is well deserved because one has stayed true to God’s will.
A moving line in the third position describes one who continues to move forward with the support of others. There is nothing wrong with depending on others for help against adversity.
A moving line in the fourth position suggests that sometimes people acquire wealth through brute strength. This is not God’s way. Eventually others will see what has been done. This path only leads to danger.
A moving line in the fifth position describes one who has achieved an influential position but has remained gentle and true to God’s way. At such times, one may reproach oneself for lack of initiative, but this is not worth worrying about. Gains and losses are not important. What is important is that one has gained influence.
A moving line in the top position suggests that one may go on the offensive now only to deal with the mistakes of one’s own people, and even then one must do so carefully. Seek Wisdom’s guidance. Be especially careful to avoid exuberance in relating to those who are not closely connected.
Other interpretations of Archetype 35:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.