Archetype 40: Deliverance
In the six hundred and first year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from the earth; and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and saw that the face of the ground was drying. In the second month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, the earth was dry.
Then God said to Noah, “Go out of the ark, you and your wife, and your sons and your sons’ wives with you. Bring out with you every living thing that is with you of all flesh—birds and animals and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth—so that they may abound on the earth, and be fruitful and multiply on the earth.”
So Noah went out with his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives. And every animal, every creeping thing, and every bird, everything that moves on the earth, went out of the ark by families.
For forty days and forty nights, the rain fell upon the earth. Noah and his family remain in the ark, wondering what they will find when the waters finally recede. For another one hundred and fifty days, the ark floats through a watery wasteland. Finally the day has arrived. The tensions of the last six months are behind them. Life can once again blossom forth. The return to normalcy can begin.
The upper trigram is Word. The bottom trigram is Chaos. The Word has emerged out of Chaos. The time of danger is over.
There is a time...
- To appreciate the potential of all that is now possible.
- To relax one’s guard, knowing the danger is in the past.
- To transition back to normalcy as quickly as possible.
- To not let your triumph feed Ego.
- To clean up that which has been left to stagnate.
- To let go of mistakes and errors of judgment and focus on a new beginning.
Now is that time.
Moving Line in the Second Position
A moving line in the second position warns of those who try to gain influence through flattery. These people are bad influences and must be removed. The removal must be done carefully, with great inner strength and clear focus on the goal of deliverance. It is important to be guided by Wisdom.
Moving Line in the Third Position
A moving line in the third position describes one who has acquired wealth and comfort through no particular merit. Flaunting the wealth leads to envy and jealousy, which only makes the situation worse.
Moving Line in the Fourth Position
A moving line in the fourth position cautions against small and petty people who attach themselves like barnacles to those of worth. These hangers-on may even seem indispensable in the accomplishing of mundane tasks, but the day of testing will come. When it does, these parasites must be cast off, or true comrades who could provide meaningful support will pull back in mistrust.
Moving Line in the Fifth Position
A moving line in the fifth position cautions against alliances with small and petty people. It is best not to attempt to dismiss them, but rather to adopt an inner resolve to separate from them. This inner resolve will soon be felt by the riffraff who will eventually withdraw on their own.
Moving Line in the Sixth (Top) Position
A moving line in the top position warns that a petty person has achieved an influential position. This person is a serious obstruction and must be removed forcefully but with great care.
Other interpretations of Archetype 40:
- Tom Christensen's interpretation [click here]
- Cafe Au Soul's interpretation [click here]
- LiSe's interpretation [click here]
- Richard Wilhelm's interpretation [click here]
- Return to the Hexagram Index Table [click here].
- Return to Consulting the Christian I Ching [click here].
- Purchase a printed copy of Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching [click here].
- Learn about our Online Christian I Ching Workshop [click here].
- Find out about personal consultations [click here].
Reproduced with permission from Wisdom's Way; The Christian I Ching copyright (c) 2015 Roger Sessions.